OLTC-Inductors

Hi All,

Well, I guess I should have known I was in trouble when I got zero response
to this one :-))

I dumpster dived for some inductor cores today and found and made up this
fancy 75mH choke:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/OLTC8150011.jpg

but it saturated in testing:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/OLTC8-15-02.gif

Oh oh..  That amps per turn stuff...  I ain't no golly darn transformer
design genius...

I played with some transformers and such but saturation is a BIG issue!  I
took an old core from a variac and sliced it with a little finger nail
file...  Hahaha!!  I used a cobalt alloy M42 hacksaw for cutting mil grade
6-4 titanium :o))  Cut it like butter...

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/OLTC8150009.jpg

It solved the saturation and gave ideal inductor responses:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/OLTC8-15-01.gif

But it only measured 47mH....

So, to make a long day's story short, the resonant charging inductor is a
big issue!!...  I think it has to work at 120Hz (helps a LOT! as opposed to
60Hz...)  Saturation is a killer.  Probably going to need some "big iron"
cores here!  Not to bad really, but I thought this would be a trivial
part...  I don't think an air core inductor would work given the low (5
ohms) resistance needed.

The Devil is in the details...

Cheers,

	Terry