Re: Neighbors and noise

Original poster: "boris petkovic by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <petkovic7-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi Malcolm,
> > Peak power of shock wave coming from primary gap
> is
> > higher by at least  2 orders of magnitude than
> that of
> > secondary air discharges.
>
> Can you formally prove that? If more energy is
> dissipated in the
> secondary discharge (and this can be measured using
> a scope), which
> would you expect to be loudest?
---
Peak power (of air wave) and total energy released in
stages of discharge aren't the same thing althought
they come one with another in time multiplication
manner.You may imagine that streamers per unit lenght
of their lenght produce less sound disturbance (much
less by far as I stated) then spark gap per unit
lenght of arc.But total streamer paths are much longer
and when they "club" togather can produce sound energy
in order of that of spark gap or even more.
This explanation is heavily simplified since there are
other factors that govern sound energy production as
well but I'm not too eager to refer  them here.However
,the explenation can shed some light to this complex
process.

I believe that my case of a tuned and very loud spark
gap wasn't exception.
I have noticed that some of big coils,and high powered
pro coils have been constructed with lower primary
surge impedances too.It would be intersting to hear
from their owners their experience on this matter.

Best regards,
Boris