Re: Neighbors and noise

Hi Boris,

On 14 Aug 2002, at 6:25, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "boris petkovic by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <petkovic7-at-yahoo-dot-com>

> > I agree about the relative sound levels of the two
> > types of secondary
> > discharge but noise from air streamers can swamp
> > noise from the gap
> > with a good coil. I remember the first time I got a
> > coil working (way
> > back when) - at first I couldn't understand where
> > the noise was
> > coming from.
> >
> ---
> Hi,
> Peak power of shock wave coming from primary gap is
> higher by at least  2 orders of magnitude than that of
> secondary air discharges.

Can you formally prove that? If more energy is dissipated in the
secondary discharge (and this can be measured using a scope), which
would you expect to be loudest?

Sounds are different,though.
> That of TC corona may be very unpleasant to human
> ears due to other reasons.Peak powers are
> decreased,but frequency spectrum shifted up and
> interval of irritating rattling-crackling sound
> prolonged.
>
> I think it is rather subjective what someone hear from
> it. I can always hear the rhytam of primary gap firing
> no matter how sharp coil is tuned if operated outdoors
> and streamers don't connect to any object.However,when
> power arcs come and play I lost the track of
> happenings due to incresed noise.
>
> regards,
> Boris

I'm not saying that the gap goes silent but I can easily hear the
difference between a coil with a louder gap and one with louder
output discharges.

Regards,
malcolm