Re: Neighbors and noise

Tesla list wrote:

<FutureT-at-aol-dot-com>

> In a message dated 8/13/02 2:32:26 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> writes:
>
> Ed,
>
> I wonder if the use of the quenched gap is also changing (increasing)
> the break-rate, and causing the sparks to grow more by rep-rate
> than by bang size, and thereby changing (reducing) the
> streamer noises?  This may be a stretch... don't know.
>
> John
>

> > John
> >
> >     In the case of my small coil here (30" streamers, 12 kV, 60 ma NST) the
> > gap contributes most of the noise.  When I run it using my old Amrad
> > quenched gap (which is almost completely silent) the high-frequency
> > noise disappears and all I can hear is a loud buzzing and "sizzling"
> > sound, which probably doesn't carry very far and isn't particularly
> > annoying.  Might not be true for bigger, higher powered or more
> > efficient coils.
> >
> > Ed

	The rep rate is certainly higher with the quenched gap (the fiber
spacing washers between sections have become so compressed over the past
85 years that the gap spacings are too small for operation at 12 kV.  As
to whether the reduced noise is due to the increased rate, I can't say.
I've been intending to do some more experimenting but this time of year
it's about 120 in the garage attic during the afternoon when I have time
to work up there.  Certainly intend more work with it later in the year.

	What I can say is that if I remove the secondary and just let the
primary circuit bang away there is almost no sound at all out of the
gap.  What there is is a muted version of what I hear when streamers are
forming.

Ed