Re: Neighbors and noise

Hi Boris,

On 13 Aug 2002, at 7:38, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "boris petkovic by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <petkovic7-at-yahoo-dot-com>

> > > I would think the arc streamers themselves would
> > be much louder
> > > than the spark gap.  That's been the case for my
> > coils, and others
> > > I've seen (and heard).
> >
> > On my first coil, the gap was definately louder than
> > the sparks.  It just goes to
> > show how poorly that first
> > coil was running due to my inexperience.
> >
> > I just thought I'd throw that in there incase others
> > assume their coils are
> > running
> > fine and the gap is suppose to be louder than the
> > sparks.
> >
> ---
> I suppose that in any disruptive TC ,streamers
> shooting in air ( no contact with ground path) are
> more silent than gap explosions.
> Power arcs from secondary are much more lauder than
> "streamers".In most cases,for fixed power used larger
> the topload stronger the shock wave produced by power
> arc.
>
> regards,
> Boris

I agree about the relative sound levels of the two types of secondary
discharge but noise from air streamers can swamp noise from the gap
with a good coil. I remember the first time I got a coil working (way
back when) - at first I couldn't understand where the noise was
coming from.

Regards,
malcolm