RE: Where to find a distribution transformer (POLE PIG)

Original poster: "Dave Hartwick by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ddhartwick-at-earthlink-dot-net>

Dan,
I got my 5 kVA 14.4 kV piglet from T&R Electric for 185 bucks in '99. I
think it was almost new or reconditioned. I had to meet the flat-bed 18
wheeler loaded with piggies at an exit off the PA Turnpike. The driver
helped me throw it into the trunk of my Saab.

But with the power available from properly designed MOT supplies, I wonder
if it's even worth the effort to procure a piglet? Of course, simply owning
one is kind of fun--always a conversation piece. "What, doesn't everybody
have one of these in their basement?"

Dave

At 11:43 AM 12/08/02 -0600, you wrote:
>Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

>Anyone know where a good place to get a distribution transformer is at a
>reasonable price.  I've been looking for one for awhile now and the only
>ones i've been able to find are new ones which cost well over $1000-2000
>each.  Thanks
>
>Dan

Hello Dan, Coilers,

Where are you located?  I got mine from a company about 50 miles east
of Toronto.  It was a reconditioned unit and came with certification
saying it had passed all of the tests and was PCB free.  It 14.4 KV
at 10 KVA and I paid $550 in Canadian dollars for it.

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL
G-1#1214

Listening: 147.030+ and 442.075+
E-mail:    weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca