Re: Neighbors and noise

Hi John, Chris,

Tesla list wrote:

<FutureT-at-aol-dot-com>
> I would think the arc streamers themselves would be much louder
> than the spark gap.  That's been the case for my coils, and others
> I've seen (and heard).

On my first coil, the gap was definately louder than the sparks. I think
they were
about 3 feet and mostly purple/blue in color. As I eventually learned to
tune in
the coil correctly, upgrade the sparkgap (several times), upgrade ballasting
components, and all those tid-bits that go into optimizing the system, at some
point the sparks became louder and longer until they eventually were
drowning out
the gap (other than a steady background buzz) and the sparks turned bright
white a
little over 3 x the original length. It just goes to show how poorly that first
coil was running due to my inexperience.

I just thought I'd throw that in there incase others assume their coils are
running
fine and the gap is suppose to be louder than the sparks.

Take care,
Bart