Re: electronic damage

Original poster: "jimmy hynes by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <chunkyboy86-at-yahoo-dot-com>

i didnt put any filters in, i figured that at such low power levels every thing
would be safe. one of the things i saved from a broken monitor is a 115/250v 3a
emi filter. would this work? i should put the line filter between the line and
power supply right? i see how that could have helped the signal gen. and
anything else on the line. it seems like my 30 volt supply, or solid state nst
when i get my rectifier working, would be at risk even with the line filter.
the ground wire runs out to the gas pipe, and i have a aluminum foil ground
plane that is about 2 feet square. thanks for your help.

  Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "davep by way of Terry Fritz "
>

> > a couple days ago i was running my small (2x12" secondary) flyback powerd
> > coil with the gap set really close, and i was trying to see what frequency
> > the primary resonated at using an antenna and o-scope. my coil is REALLY
> > far out of tune and i was trying to figure out which way to go, but right
> > as i was about to turn it off my 30 volt power supply died. it was about 5
> > feet away from the coil. today my signal generator died doing the same
> > thing, but it was off and about two feet away. how did these die?
>
> Could be coincidence.
>
> > i'm guessing it was because of induced voltages from the primary,
>
> I would guess, more likely: stray voltage spikes
> wandering back along the TC power cord.
> Even with the test equipment turned! OFF, there is risk.
> Also:
> Is there a filter on the TC power cord?
> (Filters can reduce damage, as well as noise....)
>
> What is the ground set up like?
>
> > but could it have been from the wall?
>
> Certainly possible.
> --
> best
> dwp
>
> ...the net of a million lies...
> Vernor Vinge
> There are Many Web Sites which Say Many Things.
> -me

JImmy