Re: reason for rf chokes?

Original poster: "Laurence Davis by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <meknar-at-hotmail-dot-com>

two more basic nst filter questions.

using the rc filter design, the pair of caps are tied to rf ground.
as well as the safety gaps to rf ground.  does that mean i need another
ground rod or can i use the same one im using for my secondary?  i'm asking
because in my mind that doesn't sound safe.  As in it would cause excess
signal noise... (perhaps i'm wrong, since the bottom of the secondary caries
low voltage high current.)  and if I have poor grounding (i have two four
foot zinc coated threaded stock 5/8 dia for ground rods,) then the rc filter
wouldn't work as well compared to a better rf ground.  or am i just
splitting hairs?

I had previously looked at a rc filter design, but ruled it out.  why?
because the two caps tied to the high voltage side, to me, looked like a
short.  i figured the caps would just go up in smoke and the hv caps would
be junk.

in sizing the resistors, (just wanted to make sure i get this right)
12kv/120ma = 1440watts. there for each resistor would need to be a minimum
of 720 watts? or would i multiply 12kv x sqrt(2) for true voltage?
thus...2036 watts, 1016watts min.

and here i beat the dead horse.
a choke can be a filter. a cap can be a filter. a resistor cannot filter by
itself. an rc filter: the cap has a charge time, the resistor increases the
charge time. an lc filter: the cap has charge time, the inductor acts like a
frequency relative resistor which affects charge time with regard to
frequency. i understand some of the basics, but the portion of the
resistance doesn't ring right with me. (bad pun, sorry :)

larry.