My 10,000 1 hp AC motor: RSG??

Original poster: "Dave Hartwick by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ddhartwick-at-earthlink-dot-net>

I bought this motor some years ago with the idea of using it for a rotary
gap. I'm not sure of what my thinking was at the time, perhaps extremely
high break rates, assuming I could fabricate a disk that would not
disintegrate!

It seems that SRSGs at 120 bps are sort of the standard now. I assume the
idea of using a variac to run this motor at 1800 or 3600 with 4 or 2
electrodes for 120 bps is wishful thinking. Maintaining stable rotational
velocity is unlikely without some sort of servo control circuitry--forget
it. I can just see the surging as it wanders around synchronous speed.

I do have a couple of boring 1725 rpm motors. I guess I should dust off the
grinder and search the archives for modification procedures*.
Dave Hartwick

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Misc/RGAP.ZIP