Re: Electrical Oscillators in Space

> I've read a paper from the Corums on directing Tesla coil streamers.
> I don't remember the details. They were advocating using them as a
> weapon of some sort which seemed to me to be a desperate attempt to
> justify expenditure on some rather archaic technology (or maybe a
> fond wish of some sort - my opinion only). Sparks have been directed
> through a pre-ionized channel formed by an intense laser beam, but
> what's the point? There is a power cost in producing the laser beam.
> I suppose it's interesting for interest's sake.

 	What i saw writ up in the power trade press was

	proposed use to protect power equipment,
	substations, generating plants plants.  Roughly:

		detect incipient stroke (e field).
		Arm laser.
		As stroke begins, FIRE laser (gotta be quick).
		beam is routed to provide pre ionized
		path to take stroke away from high value
		stuff.

	Would this be practical?  Dunno, but thats what
	was published.

	best
	dwp

...the net of a million lies...