Re: Electrical Oscillators in Space

Hi Dwight,

On 7 Aug 2002, at 8:35, Tesla list wrote:

<Dwight.Crider-at-regulusgroup-dot-com>

> Hey Malcolm,
> Actually, I've not rejected either, just speculating.  The thoughts come to
> possible plasma? segments being "sucked' through the appropriate elements
> and sent further into the environment - longer sparks?, or possibly ,
> adding a few feet to the streamers. Even if possible, it seems that it
> would be tricky, involved; to attract the streamers, and prior to impact,
> achieve isolation (element geometry?) to allow the streamers to continue.
> (Somewhat analogous to the electron gun in a crt) Experiments could be
> conducted with the smaller units to determine feasibility. I think the key
> questions to be answered are those involving the dynamic nature and
> interactions of the streamers.  What causes a streamer to branch, or veer
> horizontally. We are pretty sure that heat-ionization influences upward
> veering. It seems that once the nature of the streamers is understood, an
> accelerator would be possible, although it may not be feasible. (Tokomak?)
> The thought also came to mind that some type of laser might provide a path
> to extend a streamer. If this proved  successful, how about a strike ring
> for your laser? This sight and the discussions are fascinating with
> constant challenges to absorption and learning.
> Regards,
> Dwight

I've read a paper from the Corums on directing Tesla coil streamers.
I don't remember the details. They were advocating using them as a
weapon of some sort which seemed to me to be a desperate attempt to
justify expenditure on some rather archaic technology (or maybe a
fond wish of some sort - my opinion only). Sparks have been directed
through a pre-ionized channel formed by an intense laser beam, but
what's the point? There is a power cost in producing the laser beam.
I suppose it's interesting for interest's sake.
      I don't think you'd get streamers propagating any faster. Maybe
the resident ionization expert (Bert Hickman) would care to comment?

Regards,
malcolm