Re: SSTC2 - Four Foot Arcs . . . well until . . .

Original poster: "Jan Wagner by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jwagner-at-cc.hut.fi>

> Today was the first day I would bring my coil up to full design voltage
> (480VAC) and it was spectacular.  At 480VAC I was getting wickedly thick
> (and thunderous low frequency loud) arcs over four feet in length shooting
> upwards (through my discharge point) on my toroid up to the pipes in my
> basement ceiling.

Sounds like a candidate for guinnes record for solid state streamers! :)
And your PCB board looks very nice!
Or, looked... :( hopefully at least your drive section survived?

Thinking of those many kVA power levels, maybe you should make the
copper traces on the power side much broader? So that the voltage spikes
along the copper traces (and over the mosfets) get smaller and
schottkys / uf diodes / mosfets don't die on overvoltage.
Especially if you don't already use some kind of dynamic f_res driver tuning.

good luck,

 - Jan

--
 high voltage at http://www.hut.fi/~jwagner/tesla