Re: coherers

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>
> Tesla list wrote:
>>Original poster: "davep by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <davep-at-quik-dot-com>
>>>Yes. Probably a similar effect. But would a MOV "decohere"?
>>        It 'decoheres' due to power removal (like an SCR) rather
>>        than thru mechanical action.
>>        Do classic coherers decohere on removal of power?
>>        My recollection is they do...

> No, the "filings type" stay on until whacked.  There was a "mercury
> coherer" which was supposed to decohere automatically, but none of the
> ones I've tried here did.

	My refences show two types of mercury coherers:
	similar to classic, tube with plugs, Hg bead instaed of
	filings pile.
	Another, Credited to Lodge?, used a rotating iron disk,
	vertical, with a bead of Hg on top edge.

	Both said to be 'self restoring', and sensitive,
	tho neither seems to have been much used...
  	best
	dwp

...the net of a million lies...
	Vernor Vinge