Re: coherers

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

> davep wrote:

>>        In my experience, the majority of stainless steels
>>        are not magnetic...

> I have just tested all my metal tableware and coins with a magnet.
> The coin that I used was certainly magnetic, and all of the tableware
> marked "inox" or "stainless" was too. Some were not, even with the
> same appearance, but the label was different.

>>                Materials influence is complex and hard
>>                to control.  As simple a matter as changing
>>                to a new file can affect the sensitivity.

> As a device with variable mechanical structure, this is unavoidable.
	.... the point was that the detail chemical composition

	changes, with a new file...
	In the old Days there were copper oxide rectifiers.
	The BEST ones came from Chilean copper.  Very
	Mysterious.  Turns out that Chillean copper has a
	range of part per million impurities which improve
	the performance.  Exactly analagous to the
	part per million doping of more usual semiconductors.

>>        Speculation:
>>                There are apparent similarities between
>>                a coherer and an MOV, in some regards.

> Yes. Probably a similar effect. But would a MOV "decohere"?
	It 'decoheres' due to power removal (like an SCR) rather

	than thru mechanical action.
	Do classic coherers decohere on removal of power?
	My recollection is they do...

	best
	dwp

...the net of a million lies...