Re: PFC Capacitors

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

> PFC capacitors are used to reduce the wallplug ampreage for low power factor
> neon sign transformers (NST).

	The input PF isn't low when the tank capacitor is anywhere near
resonant [the "matched" value], particularly after the transformer
fails.  I can certainly see how a capacitor across the line can reduce
the current IF the input reactance is inductive, but why should it be?

Ed