Re: Calculation of PFC Capacitors using LTR Capacitor

Hi Dan,

The tank cap won't affect the PFC value. Also, the equation used in
WinTesla is a ballpark value and is the same
equation I use in JavaTC. It is a good guess at the amount of capacitance
to attain. In the real world,
transformers of the same voltage and current ratings can often require
different PF correction. Some will require
a lot and others will not. If you already have the PFC in place, then
nothing will change with the new tank cap.

If you haven't put in a PFC and you intend to, I'd recommend grabbing a few
PF caps (like 20uF each) up to the
amount calculated, and gang them up one at a time until you find the least
current draw. To do this, run the coil
at a comfortable level and mark the voltage and current, then between runs,
install 1 cap in parallel across the
transformer. Check the current. Continue this mode of adding caps in
parallel until the least amount of current
is used for the same amount of work (voltage and output).

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>