Re: flat coil ?

Hi Chris,

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Chris Swinson by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <exxos-at-cps-games.co.uk>

> Hi Bart,
> >
> > Actually, the other direction will gain a high Cself (400" height  and 3"
> > dia. [high hd]).
>
> I tried 200" H, 10" dia, this gave 60.25pf. 6.27mH
> I also tried, 10" H, 200" dia this gave 519pf , 12.8mH

I'm getting numbers in the opposite directions with a couple different
methods. The above is probably
outside the programs ability. As a matter of fact, the hd is way outside
derived approximations of hd,
so who knows. The best method here would be to measure and find out.

> Though I did build
> some 2.5" dia 90" high coils but never tried them, I think it was with 0.4mm
> wire.  I am not sure if it will couple to the primary correctly with it been
> such a high coil ? I was thinking as a way around it to build a simple maggy
> setup and just base feed the high coils.

Well, I guess it could be done. Probably helical primary and many turns
will help keep C down to a
hopefully attainable level. It would be fun to see what it might do.