Re: More on spark delay

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Kchdlh-at-aol-dot-com>

Bert (& all)-

Apropos the following--in a typical Tesla coil system, can you say what the
significance is of the (apparent) facts that a) sparks emanate from the toroid
exclusively, absent a near-enough grounded surface or point, and never, say,
from the apparatus of the primary (which is essentially at ground) or from
points on the ground-surface itself beneath the coil apparatus; and b) even
with surrounding grounded surfaces and/or points present, they being far enough
away so as not to seem to emit sparks, the sparks still appear to come "from"
the toroid?

I realize that, in the dark, one can see leaders (if that's the proper term)
apapearing at this object and that--but the big, apparent spark always jumps
off the toroid.

Ken Herrick