Re: New Coil/RSG Annoyance

In a message dated 4/17/02 8:23:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Hi John, All.
>
>     I had no idea those xfmrs could push out 9 feet!  I must be doing
> something horribly wrong in that case.  I had to resort to my old vacuum
> gap to get what sparks I got.  The sparks were much brighter than they
> were on my big coil, probably due to the smaller cap (0.075uF as opposed
> to 0.1uF) and higher breakrate.

Winston,

If you're just using the 2 transformers in series without a
voltage doubler circuit, then you don't really need to use LTR,
I don't think.

Since the voltage is rather low from those transformers, then
resonant operation is OK.  I think folks usually use up to
0.08uF or so at 120 bps.  Alan Jones has done a good job
of optimizing the design, and has gotten sparks of about
9 feet, at 120 bps.

To acheive long sparks you'll need a larger secondary.
With the 19" tall secondary, you'll be limited to about 50" sparks
at 120 bps.  Polyester caps will cost you about 10% or so in
spark length.  These are all ballpark figures I just gave.

Cheers,
John