RE: Variac and SW cap question

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jim-at-jlproduction-dot-com>

Hi,
I'll share what I know about these subjects so far

1)The 5 way post are terminals for the cap so yes you need two(as would
any cap).These are really just connection points so don’t let the 5 way
thing confuse you. Think bolts that connect to the inside components and
also leads to connect to on the outside.

Pretty much any Variac you find SHOULD work as long as the amperage
rating is not too wimpy. For your NST I would say 5+amps minimum.

A dead man is not a bad idea but IMO not 100% absolutely required. I
would think if you were getting the life shocked out of you, turning it
off would probably not be an option anyway. A semi intelligent bystander
that can pull the plug would be a good idea and I never coil alone for
that reason.

Good luck,
Jim Layton
http://www.jlproduction-dot-com/forum