Re: Changing Cycles 'till it Hertz

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Parpp807-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 4/13/02 2:12:08 PM Central Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Problem here is that the term "cps" was also derived from the
>  name of Charles Proteus Steinmetz

Hi Ed,

That's the most intertesting thing I have read in this entire thread. Do you
have any
evidence to support the C.P. Steinmetz / cps connection or is it just
coincidence?
We can imagine Steinmetz in one of his laugh-a-minute lectures coining his
initials
as the unit of frequency. C.P. is not noted for his sense of humor.

And what is the "also" that cps was derived from? The idea of cyc and cps is
just so
naturally grasped when talking about cyclic events that I woulda guessed the
terms
just entered the electrical lexicon in normal writing and speech. No formal
adoption
as standardized units.

Happy day,
Ralph Zekelman