Changing Cycles 'till it Hertz

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Parpp807-at-aol-dot-com>

The last two are mispellings, as other things that frequently appear on
>  this list (see "variations" of toroid and gauge).

Hi Antonio,
I'll just bet that you were testing us.

Some of the older IEEE members may have a clearer explanation
of what happened at the 1960 Systems International (SI) conference to saddle
us with the Hertz to replace the meaningful and self-descriptive
cyc and cps. The way I heard it, the American delegation (IEEE and other
suspects)
wanted to keep cyc and cps as the unit of frequency. The euros wanted to make
distinction between sinusoidal frequency and other cyclic waveforms. They
wanted
two new units. And the Germans wanted to honor one of their own. The Great
Compromise :-)) was to be the new unit of the Hertz which they defined as
equal
 to one cycle per second. No reference is made to the type of wave form, the
Germans got their representation, and we narrowly missed having to learn
another
new unit.

Shears,
Ralph Zekelman