Re: Better Spark Gaps

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 4/11/02 12:09:40 AM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> .  Seems like there ought to be ways to improve
>
> >them so not so much power is wasted in them.
>

>     Perhaps they are as good as the physics allows.
>     Many 'things' advance, but end up 'as good as can be'.

In 1824, Sadi Carnot proposed the Carnot cycle which establishes the
theoretical upper limit of efficiency of any heat engine, given its operating
parameters. This maximum is never 100%.
All that is necessary is for one of our Nobel aspirants to come up with an
analogous system  for the theoretical efficiency limit of a spark gap. Then we
will know when it's as good as  can be. Any takers?  ;-))
Matt D.