Re: hand crank coil for demos

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Matthew Smith by way of Terry Fritz

><twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <matt-at-kbc-dot-net.au>

> Hi Jim / All

>>Does anybody have any information on the

>>voltage/current/frequency output from the usual

>>"field telephone" hand crank generators?

	Could only find one, an EE3 (nice Wooden Case).
	30V Open circuit, at maybe 0.1A.
	(My '5w' estimate was from an old article
	showing one lighting a small light bulb...)

	My guess is 'typical' is quite wide, with different
	phones.  90V is typical for (was typical for)
	Bell 500 series.  Useful in field phones as
	a neon lamp could be used as a silent ring
	indicator...

> If they are anything like the generators used in the

>old Megger testers
	Got one of those too.

	Very different, near as i can tell.

> (see my recent post on this subject), you could get several

>hundred to 1kV

	Which is what the meggers were set up for:
	insulation stress test...

> without over-strenuous cranking.

	Actually, it seems to me to be an 'interesting
	challenge' to design and optimize such a coil,
	with 'efficiency' key in such a case...

	20" sparks are likely out...
	8)>>
	best