From: tesla-2-admin-at-tesla-2-dot-org [mailto:tesla-2-admin-at-tesla-2-dot-org] On
Behalf Of jim-at-jlproduction-dot-com
Sent: Sunday, March 31, 2002 7:16 PM
To: tesla-2-at-tesla-2-dot-org
Subject: RE: [Tesla-2] Gets all "wimpy"

Hi again,

>> Then perhaps your power level is just on the edge of
being enough for consistent breakouts from your toroid.

I would agree if not for the first few runs. This thing threw arcs as
soon as the spark gap starts firing when I first fired it up. Power
levels at about 40VAC!!
Another thing I noticed is when it decides to go into wimpy mode the
whole sound gets different. Almost like when it was first fired and was
out of tune. Even the spark gap loses its sharp snapping sound.

>> Do a little careful tuning. Sometimes just a 1/4 turn one way
or the other on the primary can make a difference.

When I was first tuning it I noticed 1/4 turn either way and it would
not break out on it's own at all. I have not tried for example 1/8 inch
increments, would this possibly make any difference?
Also of note is I am pretty sure I am UNDER coupled to at least some
degree.
I have two inches PER SIDE from primary to secondary and no real way to
raise or lower either one. I need a better design on one or the other.
Would this account for wimpy mode as things warm up a little?

>> But remember to make the most of the 2nd NST
you should increase your primary capacitance as well.

How would I do this? My cap is .01mfd and according to Tesla CAD I need
.008 so am I already in the right direction? That is to say do I have
more cap than I need now for the lone NST? I also have a 4 inch toroid
that will break out with the new gap but not as well as the 3 inch one.
I am tapped in at 8 turns out of 13 now

Thanks,
Jim