homebrew hv

Original poster: "Metlicka Marc by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>

All,
Last night i pulled one of the 40-1 transformers apart:
http://www.fortunecity-dot-com/meltingpot/syria/1210/id26.htm
They are held together with steel strapping and the cores slid out very
nicely. The cores are really well constructed, looks like they may have
been pressed into shape? They are actually 1"t x 2.5"w x 12"h with a
4.5" outside core width.
There are a few things i want to ask for help on:
first is whether this seems like a good core to wind a hv transformer
on?
i am thinking of a large nst type transformer using a hv winding on each
outer leg and the primary on the center. The thing is that the original
transformer has both windings around the center lag, maybe because all
the flux travels through this doubled section? so will the windings on
the outer legs see enough magnetic flux to generate the hv, I'm shooting
for 20 kv each using and 41675 turns of 22g wire each. This would need
250 turns of primary wire (if my calcs are right?) or would it be a
better idea to wind one single hv winding with the primary in the center
like the original? I'm just not experienced enough to know.

second is that with the large taps of the originals secondary windings,
and the fact that two cores doubled up fit right into the hole of the
big winding, and the fact that i could gap the core with shims, could
this make a good high current inductor?
I will check the inductance of this core, but i was wondering if anyone
could give me an idea of what it should be for a nice 100+ amp current
limiting reactor?
The center core area would be 12" but capable, the taps are 250 amp
rated so it looks like at least a 150 amp rating for the windings?
I will post more data as it comes, but i'm hopping for some input from
the list on these tesla projects? (i hope, i hope)
Thanks,
Marc