RE: Cat's meow and 3-phase question was: Silly question?

Original poster: "Loudner, Godfrey by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <gloudner-at-SINTE.EDU>

> -----

 	Hello Dave

 	One possible reason you see a lot of wye-to-wye connections between
 three single phase units is for economic reasons. The voltage of each unit
 is only 58% of the line voltage. The single phase units need only be
 insulated for relatively low voltage with the resulting cost reduction.
 The grounding procedure you see will permit unequal loads on the three
 leads to be carried through the neutral back to the generator. A third
 winding in each single phase unit can be provided to suppress third
 harmonic voltages.

 	Godfrey Loudner

msnip...