RE: Cat's meow and 3-phase question was: Silly question?

Original poster: "Loudner, Godfrey by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <gloudner-at-SINTE.EDU>

Hello Dave

One possible reason you see a lot of wye-to-wye connections between three
single phase units is for economic reasons. The voltage of each unit is only
58% of the line voltage. The single phase units need only be insulated for
relatively low voltage with the resulting cost reduction. The grounding
procedure you see will permit unequal loads on the three leads to be carried
through the neutral back to the generator. A third winding in each single
phase unit can be provided to suppress third harmonic voltages.

Godfrey Loudner