Re: Dual NST question

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 9/26/01 10:48:21 AM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Original poster: "Vince D'Amore by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <vincedamore-at-earthlink-dot-net>
>
> Hello People
>

> I have two NST's I plan on using to power my coil They are both
> 12/30's. However they are of different manufactures. One is a
> Alanson and the other is a Franceformer.
> My question is can they be used together?
> Would there be any drawbacks?
>

> Vince

Hi Vince!
        Here is a real simple test.
1. Hook the two transformers in parallel and properly phase them so as to cause
out put sparks across a safety gap.
2. Disconnect the gap and with one pair of outputs tied together, hook a 1/4
watt, 1000 ohm resistor between the output terminals on the other side.
4. Crank up to full power for about a minute.
5. If the resistor smokes or gets uncomfortably warm to the touch*, the
transformers are too different to be used in parallel. (deltaV > ~8.3 volts.)

* Only touch after turning off power.

Hope this helps,
Matt D.