Re: Silly question?

Original poster: "Matthew Smith by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <matt-at-kbc-dot-net.au>

Hi Greg/All

I've had a few ideas and have looked around the Web at commercial
coil-winding machines.  An old matrix printer (nice stepper motors)
should provide the bits for the prototype...  I'll set up a site at
http://coils.mss.cx for my design notes.

I don't think that putting inter-winding layers would be half such a
pain if the that was all that you had to do!  My idea is for the machine
to dash off a winding, you stick on the paper/mylar/whatever, then the
machine does another winding...  Spray-on HV varnish may be another
alternative.

As yet, I haven't built a coil, so the prototype will be set up with
this in mind.

Cheers

I've hada f
Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

> Good points Matthew,
>
> What about that bobbin winding principle? I watched my
> wife use the bobbin winder on her sewing machine. The
> thread obediently layered itself on from left to right
> and back again. Very neat. I've been put off the xfmr
> rewinding thing because of the misery & tedium of
> winding a perfect, smooth layer of fine magnet wire,
> wrapping on a sheet of paper, winding on another
> perfect smooth layer of wire, etc., etc., hour after
> hour, day after day... No thanks. I'd rather stack
> MOTs.
>
> So is it a serious sin to skip the inter layer
> insulation paper and wind the secondary like a bobbin,
> perhaps with heavy build wire to avoid breakdown? This
> would sure simplify xfmr winding and make simple,
> hobby-type xfmr winding machines possible.
--snip--