Re: Silly question?

Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Good points Matthew,

What about that bobbin winding principle? I watched my
wife use the bobbin winder on her sewing machine. The
thread obediently layered itself on from left to right
and back again. Very neat. I've been put off the xfmr
rewinding thing because of the misery & tedium of
winding a perfect, smooth layer of fine magnet wire,
wrapping on a sheet of paper, winding on another
perfect smooth layer of wire, etc., etc., hour after
hour, day after day... No thanks. I'd rather stack
MOTs.

So is it a serious sin to skip the inter layer
insulation paper and wind the secondary like a bobbin,
perhaps with heavy build wire to avoid breakdown? This
would sure simplify xfmr winding and make simple,
hobby-type xfmr winding machines possible.

Just thinking out loud.

Greg
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/greg