Silly question?

Original poster: "Matthew Smith by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <matt-at-kbc-dot-net.au>

Hi All

Maybe I've been away from electrical engineering for too long and
writing software as made me soft in the head - but:

If sourcing suitable 110/240V --> xkV transformers is such a bind, why
not wind our own?  If it's a question of it being too (mechanically)
difficult, maybe I (and others) should try to devise a tranny winding
gadget - possibly one that's flexible enough to do Tesla secondaries as
well...

In my previous engineering incarnation, we were forever getting motor
stators rewound and they must be a NIGHTMARE to do compared with a
tranny!

Transformers with alternated laminations (ie the ones that won't pull
apart) are obviously out of the question...

If anybody's seen the little widgets on sewing machines that fill the
underside bobbin, maybe something based on that principle?

Cheers

--
Matthew Smith
Kadina, S. Australia