Re: Primary and Secondary?????

Hi Nolan,

Coilers run the bottom of their secondary's above, equal, and sometimes
below the secondary. In my
humble opinion, there is no preference. Assuming you want to couple as much
primary energy to the
secondary without causing racing arcs, then you need to adjust the
coulping. Simply place the
secondary above the primary a few inches. Between runs, lower the secondary
in 1/2" steps. Continue
this until you begin to get racing arcs. Then bring up the secondary in
1/4" steps and stop when you
can run at full power without racing arcs. Note, the bottom of your
secondary may end up below,
equal, or above the secondary. It's the mutual inductance which determines
where best to set the
secondary, not the cosmetics. Each coil will be different. My coils tend to
set above the primary. I
remember Reinhard Buchner (no longer on the list, but one of the founders
of the MMC) ran a coil
where the bottom of the secondary was an inch or so below the primary
(because this was the best
position on his coil when coupling was adjusted).

Take care,
Bart

> Tesla list wrote:
>
> > Original poster: "Terrence A. Moore by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tmoore-at-erie-dot-net>
> >
> > Hello I am Nolan I was wondering if it matters if a flat primary coil is
> level
> > with the bottom of the secondary windings.  Maybe it would be better if the
> > bottom of the secondary windings were above the primary coil, or is it
better
> > to have the secondary windings below the primary?  I could use some
help with
> > this.  Thanks very much.
> >
> > Sincerely,
> > Nolan
>
> Hi Nolan..
>
> the average responce to this question is to have the bottom of the
> secondary equal in height to the
> primary coil

snip