Re: Primary and Secondary?????

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Terrence A. Moore by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tmoore-at-erie-dot-net>

> Hello I am Nolan I was wondering if it matters if a flat primary coil is
level
> with the bottom of the secondary windings.  Maybe it would be better if the
> bottom of the secondary windings were above the primary coil, or is it better
> to have the secondary windings below the primary?  I could use some help with
> this.  Thanks very much.
>
> Sincerely,
> Nolan

Hi Nolan..

the average responce to this question is to have the bottom of the
secondary equal in height to the
primary coil

altho depending upon on your primary ( NST OBIT MOT PIG) supply and its
voltage and current capacity
will make a difference on how and where you should place the primary coil
in relation to your
secondary.

this is alot more difficult than it is imagined to be :)

Other considerations to consider are ...   the size of the secondary, the
size of the primary, the
available power you have from the transformer....

an average coil consists of a NST ( 12KV 30mA) a secondary of 3.5" X 18" to
28" tall with # 20 - 28
wire
the spark gap is usually a single gap ( 2 electrodes not air blown) usually
smaller than the needed
cap size ( less than .01 uF ) and the toroid is on average too big....
compared to the size of the
primary turns...which is on average too many....

if you have ... lets say a 12KV 30mA NST with a secondary of 3-4 " dia. X
20" tall with #22 wire ...
a primary of 1/4" copper tubing ( flat) will be fine with about 15 turns (
seems like you always need
more than you plan for) and a cap of .09uF with a single AIR Blown gap( 1/4
-3/8" spacing) .... the
primary set for about 12 turns you should see about 12-18" of streamers
oh ya the toroid should be
about 4" hi X 18 total outside Dia.

see if your coil is close to this and set it up as this condition....    it
seems to be the average
:)

Scot D