Tungsten carbide

Original poster: "Luc by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ludev-at-videotron.ca>

Hi Terry, Marc, list,

May be I have an explanation other than solder diffusion of why
some have good success with tungsten carbide electrode and some
have poor result ( erosion ).

TC are kind of ceramic composed of a variety of different
material and proportion of TC content vary from 98% to as low as
60%. Some used titanium carbide as addition, from what I know
titanium have poor reaction to arc.

In conclusion TC are made of WC, Ni, Co, Cu, TiC, Fe, etc. in
different ratio.

See these link:

http://www.generalcarbide-dot-com/grades/

http://www.chinatungsten-dot-com/ctcgp.htm

http://www.leechcarbide-dot-com/grade.htm

The question is what is the best grade of TC can be use as
electrode? What is the best binder; nickel or cobalt? What
proportion of WC is the best? Probably the higher, other material
are added mostly for lowering the brittelness of the TC.

I think the question could be ask to an association of mfr. of
TC, I'm sure one of you with a better english writing ability
than me  could write to them, I think of a kind of list of the
best grade to the worst because may be the kind of shape we need
for electrode are not produced with the best grade for resistance
to arc erosion.

Cheers,

Luc Benard