Re: New Person here...

Hi Robert,

At 12:30 AM 8/15/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>> Oh!!  that is probably the biggest one in the world ;-))
>>

>The size of that one scared me senseless and i had to ask myself when i saw
>that... is this really a hobby when it gets to that level ;)

Nope!  It is a business at that point:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Pros/TeslaCoils.htm

www.ttr-dot-com

Some people actually do make a living coiling.  Bill Wysock made the big
coil you saw and he has been a professional at Tesla coiling for like 25+
years.  But 99% of us are just hobbyists who think coiling is really cool!

>Ive alloted myself  $150 for the design of my coil, i do hope thats enough
>to achieve the 2 foot sparks you were talking about, and ive noticed that
>most people on this list, from what i can see on the pupman subscrition
>list, are from england. i do believe that would put a damper on the "Easily
>accessable/affordable" issue, not many people around here appear to be in to
>this.

The vast majority of us are in the USA but there are many people in Europe
and scattered around the rest of the world too.  If you joined within the
last week, this list has been pretty quiet since most people's minds were
on the New York thing rather than coiling.  We usually get around 40 posts
per day and there are 800+ people here ;-)

>Given the 2 foot sparks you are mentioning is there anyone around here who
>could quote me a price including shipping to America. Im thinking a 15,000v
>30ma neon transformer... unless anyone else has a better idea, im open for
>suggestions.

America has plenty of neons too :-)  Any place you see a neon sign, there
is a neon shop close by and practically all neon signs have one.  Many neon
shops replace transformers periodically when they service the signs and
they dump them in the trash unless someone comes offering to haul them off
;-))  New ones run about $50 to $100.  Used ones are free or for a small
amount from the shops depending on how greedy they feel.  Some shops don't
like to give the NSTs to people because they are worried about people
getting hurt buy them, but many are more than happy to help you out.

Here is a bunch of typical NST information if you are interested.

http://www.actown-dot-com/outdoor.htm

Look and ask around your area.  Shipping them runs $20 to $30.  E-bay
usually has a bunch and some people will sell them to you here on the list
too if you need.  Here is super nice looking top of the line ACTown one for
$10:

http://cgi.ebay-dot-com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1639992307

But you can probably find one locally still cheaper :-))

>> Starting is kind of a big deal, but everything is here for the asking :-))
>
>I have be come intimately aware of the big deal ;) Thank you for the ability
>to ask. I will probably be asking a lot of "dumb" questions in the near
>future, so please bear with me.

That IS why were are all here ;-)

Cheers,

	Terry