Re: Variable capacitor for tinkering with

Original poster: "Sundog by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <sundog-at-timeship-dot-net>

Hi All, Greg!

It was the simplicity of it that made me shake my head and think, "Nah, it
can't be *THAT* easy...."  But my DMM and crude lashup in the kitchen sink
says the thing works, a single bottle giving me a sizeable increase in
capacitance. (.3nf to 1.2nf)

The notion of bottles breaking in TC service...I haven't used SW caps
extensively.  I do know glass is a lossy dielectric, and my tube coil runs
at ~400khz.  So I'm expecting a bit of heat (even the panasonic MMC gets
warm after extended runs at 1kw).  Plus with the capacitor at it's lowest
capacitance setting (the bottom of the bottle about 1/8" below the water's
surface), it's carrying the full current on only a thin band of glass.  I
don't worry about the bottle breaking, I have plenty of spares (and ones to
make spares, come to think of it).
Only bottle I lost in TC duty was because it flashed over (foil outside the
glass to ground) and got hot.

 Also, I won't be adjusting the full capacitance of the tank cap like that,
I'll only be aiming for ~10% of the tank cap to be variable. So a single
bottle will work for my 833 powered coil.  I need to get the tube coil
running though :)

Shad