Re: Newbie Coiler has NST questions

Original poster: "Jason by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jasonp-at-btinternet-dot-com>

Patrick,
> Today, I managed to obtain TWELVE (!!!) *supposedly* broken NSTs. The very
> first one I tested worked. So I have some questions:
12?!?!? Thats pretty good! I am impressed :)

> First, proper grounding methods. I simply connected the ground wire to the
> chasis; is there a "proper" place where it should be connected?
There is usually a ground tap that had a screw on it close by to the mains
windings. If there isnt one then it should be ok to put a hole through the
case, then a screw and connect the ground to that

> Secondly, what guage wire should I use for wiring these things?
15A flex should be fine. With a 15/30 the cable onbly needs to be rated to
about 2 amps, so anything should be fine. For the HV side though, use proper
neon wire of HV wire.

> Thirdly, what safety precautions should I take when using an NST? I placed
it
> ontop of a rubbermaid bin, and plugged it in from about 25 feet away :) I
think
> I was being a little too cautious..... :)
I agree with you... I regularly use neons (I have 4) and I do not take any
extra special precautions, except for the 10/85. There is no need to stay
that far away, and you should be fine to handle the neon while it is running
as long as you have case grounded it properly. Remember to keep away from
the HV terminals, and also remember that more than about 10mA through the
heart may well stop your heart. Also if you use a variac, take care to
unplug it before making modifications to jacob's ladders etc. I have got
shocks this way.

> I doubt all 12 will turn out like this first one. What are some good sites
with
> details on repairing NSTs? I've read a few sites, and they say it's fairly
> easy.
There is only one thing that you can do the 'repair' an NST. Basically if it
is tar filled, then you stick it in an oven at about 200 degrees C and let
the tar melt. Then take it out and let the tar harden again... this usually
works a treat.

> Phew! One more! I will be using a 15kv 30ma unit......kind of an open
ended
> question, but knowing this, what is the "best design" for my coil? (ie,
> secondary length/width, wire guage, # of turns, primary details, caps,
etc.)
I would go for about 10nF, a 5" by 25" secondary, probably tune to around 10
turns. I do reccomend getting a bit more familiar with the technicalities of
a coil, but then again there is no better education than to build one:)

Good luck and be careful,
Jason (London)

P.S. Where do you live? the UK?