Re: bulk buy of super caps?

Original poster: "Crow Leader by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <presence-at-churchofinformationwarfare-dot-org>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2001 9:15 AM
Subject: Re: bulk buy of super caps?

> Original poster: "Mike Nolley by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<nolleym-at-willamette.edu>

> >  I've examined some charts and have seen that a15kv 0.05uF MMC
> > might be as few as 4 sets of parallel capacitors. That is not exacly the
> > equivalent of high current construction.
>
> For our purposes it is plenty high enough.  The series resistance of a
bank
> such as this is quite low, though not as
> low as commercially made caps.  You might check the manufacturers specs on

This is my point. I want to know that the difference maybe. Some of us like
to experiment and not just accept everything that is presented as a "fact".

> series resistance of one MMC, and see if 4
> strings of 10 is comparable to 1 commercially made cap.  Nevertheless,
> TCing does not require the incredibly fast or
> controlled rise times of laser technology or pulse forming networks used
in
> laboratory high-energy research.  At

Can you support this with some facts or numbers? Why are lower class ceramic
caps awful for tesla coil use? Could it is about risetime and ESR?

> mechanical break rates, the difference between an MMC and a commercially
> made cap would probably be unnoticeable given
> an equivalent capacitance--voltage tolerance and current tolerance (as per
> the spec sheets of both capacitors).  It
> might be interesting, however, to compare the two.

Yes, it will be interesting.

KEN