Re: stacked poly cap

Original poster: "Metlicka Marc by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

<Cydesho-at-aol-dot-com>

> My coil is running off of a 15kV NST, so it seems that a stacked poly cap
> made of the 1/16" HDPE wouldn't be able to withstand the voltage. Would the
> 1/8" thick sheets work? What is the dielectric strength per mil?

Justin,
The .0625" sheet will hold off your transformers voltage just fine. I
have tried to figure my caps as 500v per mill, this seems to have worked
very well for me?
with 22 sheets of 10"sq flashing and 20 12"sq sheets of poly, you will
get a 30kvrms cap giving 15nf.
This should set you up fine, keep the air out, keep the oil dry.
Take care,
Marc M.

>                                 JustinContent-Type: text/x-vcard;
charset=us-ascii;
 name="mystuffs.vcf"

begin:vcard
n:METLICKA;MARC
tel;fax:(440) 272-5081
tel;home:(440) 272-5081
tel;work:(440) 272-5081
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.fortunecity-dot-com/meltingpot/syria/1210/index.htm
org:MEM BUILDERS;Design engineering
adr:;;6668 Hyde rd.;Windsor;Ohio;44099;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net
title:Technician
note;quoted-printable:Interested in all forms of the Electrical
sciences.=0D=0AInterested in most, if not ALL, other forms of the sciences,
=0D=0A Mechanics and most technicaly oriented subjects.=0D=0A
fn:MARC M.
end:vcard