Re: strange charge

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Jason by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <jasonp-at-btinternet-dot-com>

> Marc,

> You hear about this from time to time - I dont think that there is
> any real explanation.

	There are several.  (which is right is another matter)  This
	comes up (If its what i think it is...) about once a month.
	check the archives under 'strange shocks' for a possibly
	related discussion.

	(funny how the word 'strange' recurs...  8)>>)

> My theory is that a static charge remains in the tube (just as
> it does on some toploads)

	While it is common to regard a Tesla Coils 'ac', it turns
	out the discharge voltage in air is different for positive
	than for negative.  This means a residual DC voltage can
	be present.  (look up 'field ion rectifier') This, in turn
	can charge the bulk of the material of any insulator (eg:
	coil form), as an 'electret' or 'electrophorus'.

> and the regular discharging of this caused the bright flashes.  As
> the charge becomes lower the static discharges become less
> frequent, so the tube stays charged for longer.

> Just a thought, mind you...

	likewise.

> Regards,
> Jason

	With the coil off?

> > only for a short time but it lit? Repeatably?

> > Somewhere around the bulb area either us or the atmosphere is being
> > charged.

	cf above.  Stray charge on the structure of the coil form.

	The motion of a conducting body (you....) into the
	field redistributed the field enough to fire the neon
	tube.

	best
	dwp