Re: effective k of a magnifier, was TSG advantages

Hi Daniel,

On 4 Sep 2001, at 13:48, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Daniel Barrett by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dbarrett-at-clearcube-dot-com>

>     I appologize for asking a silly question, but I'm still coming up to
> speed on the TC terminolgy. Does 'first notch quenching' mean that the spark
> gap is extinguished after the initial discharge of the tank cap into the
> primary? If so, is this intended to maximize the amount of time the cap is
> allowed to recharge?
> Thanks,
> db

It means the gap extinguishes following the initial transfer of
energy from primary to secondary which typically takes several cycles
of oscillation. It does maximise the recharge time for the primary
cap and prevents energy transferring back to the primary to cause
further losses in the gap. However, it isn't just some magic thing
that is easily made to happen. Usually, it happens as a result of the
secondary losing energy in the output discharge thereby leaving
little energy to make the reverse journey.

Malcolm