Re: safe frequency

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Pyrotrons-at-aol-dot-com>

Hello "RQBauzon-at-aol-dot-com" and all.

> my tranny's frequency is 20Khz at 20mA at 15KV.  Is the frequency
> high enough and is the current low enough to spare me if i get
> zapped?

No good for TC use, although some people are trying to modify them to work.
It is the new (relatively) generation of neon sign transformers. This thing
will give you a SERIOUS burn though........put a piece of metal near it (8")
and touch the metal. Then magnify this burn about 100 times. I found this out
at a WALMART!!! The neon sign was sitting on the (metal) shelf, I leaned up
against the shelf near the sign. Capacitively induced current
flow................

A flyback transformer CAN be used to power a Tesla coil. I have, as well as
several others. They're really cool....old (tesla's coil setup w/ gap, cap,
coils) and the new (2N3055 transistor inverter w/ flyback) all in one box.

> P.S.- how do make a coil so that it's output is completely safe?

You CAN make a Tesla Coil with a safe output. Yes, you can. Very low power,
very low coupling, high frequency tank circuit (input power from flyback),
and lots and lots of high-voltage clearance between the primary and secondary
coils. I don't suggest it, no, but it can be done.

But who's to say that 1Mhz of 10kV RF energy won't hurt you in the long run??
I don't know. You be the judge. I do think that pulling a tiny (10kV 1Mhz RF
off flyback driven tesla coil) isn't going to hurt you as long as you don't
do it continuously for 20 years.

Safety is a very touchy issue, flames are more than welcome as long as you
can prove that a flyback driven ten-watt undercoupled eenie-weenie tesla coil
can hurt you when one arc is pulled every day for the rest of your life. This
is a TINY amount of energy. Compare this to a 5W 2.4Ghz cellphone held next
to your brain for a half hour.

BTW --- What device powers every single plasma globe in every Radio Shack in
the country? Basically a flyback driver does. And every bit of the flyback's
energy is coupled straight into your body through capacitive coupling.
Touching the arcs off a flyback powered TC would transmit a negligible amount
of power compared to that of a plasma globe.

TC output arcs are much different (peak pulsed) than the output of a flyback
(constant average power)..............sure, but we're talking TINY.

Respectfully,

Justin Hays
KC5PNP
G-3 #1150