Re: Successful rebuild

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Hollmike-at-aol-dot-com>

Hi all,
   Just a question out of curiosity:  Has anyone ever tried running a NST,
after depotting, without oil?   It seems to me that the potting is just there
to prevent moisture from getting into the transformer(since they might get
exposed to weather).  I am not suggesting anyone try it, but just wondered if
they'd run ok in air.  What makes me think of this is that I have a 10kV,
23ma tranny(sounds like an OBIT, huh?) in a capacitor tester called a HI-POT
tester.  It is dry and has worked this way for many years.
Mike