Re: winding the secondary

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Jeff,

If the pipe is new and has no weathered/oxide coating, simply wash/wipe off
all dirt both inside and out, sand off any lettering or striping (which, if
black, may tend to be somewhat conductive), let it thoroughly dry, then
seal if desired using clear polyurethane. If the pipe is older and
weathered, you may want to sand off the outer chalky coating since this is
porous and absorbs water. Minor scratches and nicks should not hurt
anything, but don't use the pipe if it has holes in it (such as some
drainage pipe) or is cracked, since this may result in internal flashovers.

If you have any deep gouges that will be parallel with the secondary
winding, you might want to fill these with a nonconductive caulk such as
clear silicone to improve outer appearance. Baking is not necessary for PVC
coilforms. Coating after winding helps secure the windings with temperature
changes, and a thicker coating helps distribute voltage stresses somewhat
as well as providing mechanical protection for the windings.

Good luck on your coil!

-- Bert --
--
Bert Hickman
Stoneridge Engineering

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Janet Johnson by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jpjmassage-at-earthlink-dot-net>