Re: TSG Advantages?

In a message dated 8/31/01 11:48:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> I'm wondering if it could be
>  that while the tanks energy is oscillating back and forth, the triggered
>  pulse is holding a path open so that it doesn't have to reform an arc
>  path to travel?

Marc, all,

As long as the gap is firing during a bang, the path conducts
continuously.  It shouldn't matter how long the trigger
pulse is, provided it's not too long.  I think something else is
happening.  Some have suggested that a slower (later) quench
may actually be better.  However a late quench gives less time
for the capacitor to recharge for the next bang.

>   Mark R's scope test of Ed
>  > Wingate's magnifier which uses a series rotary showed that it
>  > quenches on the first notch.  I don't know what the effective
>  > coupling of Ed's magnifier is.
>
>  I think it was around "6" or something like that?

I was refering to the effective or overall coupling which is
lower than the driver k.  This is the k which must be
considered for quenching for typical magnifier work.  The
driver k is probably about 0.45.  As was pointed out by
Dr. Antonio, the formula for calc'ing the effective coupling
of a magnifier is:

  Ke = Kd*sqrt(Ls/Lr + Ls)

where Ke is the effective coupling, Kd is the driver coupling,
Ls is the secondary inductance, and Lr is the resonator
(extra coil) inductance.

I'm guessing at values here, but if Ed's secondary is 15mH,
and the resonator is 45mH, and the driver k is 0.45, then the
effective k = 0.225, or about the same as a classic coil such
as Richard Hull's Nemesis TC.

The notch of quenching will depend largely on the
effective k of the system.

John Freau