Re: Car Coil

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "R Heidlebaugh by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rheidlebaugh-at-zialink-dot-com>

> on 10/28/01 8:56 PM, Tesla list at tesla-at-pupman-dot-com wrote:

> > Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> > <Hollmike-at-aol-dot-com>

> > Hmmmmm,
>>I thought the 'condenser' was to keep the points from burning up too
> > quickly.
> > Mike

> >> KEEP ONE SMALL THOUGHT the capacitor used on a car coil (.23uf) is
>>>chosen to make the primary winding resonant with the secondary
>>>winding for maximun voltage out. this will get you about 36kv out
>>>to drive your coil.  If you use the circuit common to cd ignitions
>>>on racing cars you should get about 3 times the voltage out. Dont try to
push the coil any more than that or the

> Mike:
> The condenser has a point saving property, but that is a minor
> job.

	Just so.  Tho the over simplified explanation is popular
	& appears in numerous sources.

> Just like the TC capacitor you can get a spark to transfer to the
> secondary with out the trouble of a capacitor, but streamers no.

	& yes, to some extent this makes every car ignition a Tesla Coil,
	as near as i can tell...  Not that Nikola Tesla ever patented
	that application...   I think...

	best
	dwp