Re: resonant cap

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Hollmike-at-aol-dot-com>

Hi,
  You can certainly use a resonant, or impedance matched cap.  The energy
transfer is supposedly maxed when doing so, but there are dangers.  If your
spark gap misfires for any reason, a very high voltage can develop across the
cap due to the resonant rise.  This can kill your cap or your transformer.
According to studies conducted by Terry (and others?),  the voltage from a 15kV
NST can skyrocket as high as 50 - 80 kV.
Mike