UPDATED: LTR causes arcing to primary?

Original poster: "Brett Error by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bretterror-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Thanks for the tip.  However these "racing arcs" seemed to have disappeared
when I added your filter:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Misc/NSTFilt.jpg

Note that I did make one modification.  I didn't connect the terminal to NST
ground yet because I'm concerned about it also being attached to RF ground.

I realize that the filter shouldn't really have anything to do with
eliminating the "racing arcs", but in any case that problem is gone.  I
don't know if it was adding the filter or something else that changed in the
process of rebuilding the coil.  Now, however, I have a problem of seemingly
a much more serious nature.  I have arcing between the base of the secondary
coil where the ground cable attaches and the inner windings of the primary
coil. There is roughly an inch and the nearest point between the secondary
and primary coils.

This arc has several forms:

- Type one: At first, when I had the center post of the safety gap connected
to RF ground, every time the safety gap would fire I would also get an
explosive arc from the bottom of the coil.  This is a high-powered arc and
looks a lot like the safety-gap arc.

- Type two: Because the arcs seem related, I disconnected the center post
from RF ground.  This didn't stop the arcs, but they did appear less
frequently, and much lower power.  Just thin white arcs occasionally jumping
from the base of the secondary to the primary.

- Type three: I'm not sure what I've changed (I've been tinkering and trying
to tweak different settings) but now the arc is different again.  It is thin
and purple, and is not intermittent.  As soon as the coil is powered the arc
appears and stays until power is extinguished.  All the other arcs have been
much more intermittent.

I've tried raising the secondary several inches to put more space between
the secondary and the primary and it did help the arcing a little bit.  Also
by adding insulation (electrical tape) I've also been able to somewhat curb
the arcing.

Anyone have any ideas what might be happening here?  Again, previously when
I ran the coil with a capacitance almost at resonance I don't think I had
this problem.  This is something new that has shown up after the addition of
a LTR capacitor and Terry's filter.

I could try to get more aggressive with insulation, or even remove a wind or
two off the inside of the primary coil, but I'm afraid I might be treating
the symptoms instead of the real problem.

Thanks in advance,

Brett